…and they said I’d never get this school singing… pah…
In our recent call for schools to pilot new approaches to learning through singing and technology, we received over 100 applications of an incredibly high standard for just 15 places. This got us thinking. With this level of interest, could we possibly run a second pilot, managed through online networking and support via our various forms of social media so that many more students could have the chance to experience what we are sure will be an innovative and exciting new approach for use with year 7 (age 11-12) classes?
It’s Your Voice: students will deconstruct music that they are familiar with, and rebuild it entirely using their voices (replicating melody, bass, percussion etc). The approach will aim to build student confidence with how they can use their voices in a variety of ways, and also develop teacher confidence with delivering vocal approaches that build exclusively on Musical Futures principles
It’s Your Choice: an exploration of the creative possibilities of using mobile/tablet technology in the classroom. It will involve students creating music exclusively using mobile devices – not attempting to replace instruments, but to show how this technology can contribute to a music classroom.
Both approaches will be delivered exclusively by classroom teachers, testing their feasibility and replicability.
How the co pilot will work
- The co pilot will be open to any school, anywhere (UK and beyond!) and there is no selection process. Sign up and you will be sent all the information and resources you need to get started.
- We will make video and guidance from the training day available via our website and blog for teachers to plan the project in their schools
- We will make all resources from the pilot available to all members of the co-pilot. Co piloters will have access to webinars, live chat, the #mfpilot hashtag on twitter, a closed facebook group hosted by a member of the core MF team and a discussion thread on our teacher network
- We will invite everyone involved in the pilot and co pilot that has tried the approaches to a national CPD and networking event at the end of the year
What you need to do
- Identify a block of time when you can run the project with a year 7 (or equivalent) class.
- Sign up for the co pilot and you will be emailed details of training materials as they are released and instructions for how to sign up to the various online resource areas you will need to be able to access
- Watch the video and read the guidance from the sessions that will be taking place at the training for the pilot schools on Feb 14th and 15th
- Check your email for updated information and guidance as the project progresses
- Watch email and Twitter for details of live webinars and chat you can participate in to meet other teachers and get advice from the core team including from singing and technology specialists
- Feed back to us about how you are getting on and we will add any video or recordings to the galleries on our website